Gorton FC 1884 (Manchester City) Retro Football Shirt
In 1879 Arthur Connell was appointed curate of St Mark's church in the working class West Gorton district of Manchester. Like most of the rapidly growing industrial areas of the north and midlands, West Gorton had no social facilities apart from public houses. Arthur's young wife, Anna Connell, decided to form an association to encourage young working men to spend more of their time on physical pursuits and less of their wages on beer. Anna persisted in the face of initial indifference and over the summer the members formed a cricket team, which was so successful that in 1880 the members formed St. Mark's (West Gorton) FC. The club became West Gorton in 1882 and then Gorton AFC in 1884. In 1887, they moved to Hyde Road, Manchester and became Ardwick FC. In 1891, Ardwick joined the Football Alliance and a year later were in the Football League when the Alliance was incorporated as Division Two.
In 1894, the club became a limited company and adopted the rather less parochial name of Manchester City when they adopted blue and white as their colours.
Heavy weight 100% cotton jersey in a soft durable 2 ply Combed Cotton 270/275 gsm
Fine gauge tight knit fabric that retains its shape when machine washed
Made in Great Britain